Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Once I was Fully Awake

Here's what I thought, reflecting back on the last couple weeks and the attempts to stir up some opposition to Obama:

How many times are white Americans going to fake disbelief and hurt that a black man might, like the Rev. Wright, express outrage and anger at how black people have been (and to some extent, still are) treated in this country? You all haven't noticed that yet? Never heard such sentiments? You thought everything was peachy and "those people" should be congratulating you on your open-minded fairness?

And how many times are white Americans going to fake umbrage at the idea that some of them might vote against a black man - BECAUSE he's black? Again, that idea seems so absurd and out-of-touch that you can't acknowledge that it just might be true in some cases? I'm thrilled that the black man in the race has gotten as many white votes as he has, and I hope and expect it'll continue. But my God, the idea that there are some white people who couldn't bring themselves to vote for a black man does not strike me as intrinsically unbelievable, or something that I should feel slighted by someone pointing out. If anything, it's been the elephant in the room this whole election. Obama has wisely skirted the issue thusfar, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Okay, one more, and this is probably the biggest one. How many times are we going to elect the candidate who seems like a "nice guy," a "regular" guy, an avuncular (or this time, grandfatherly) guy, a guy we could have a beer with? I don't want to have beer with the president! And even if I did, I doubt any of them, even the "nice" ones, ever would have one with me, unless I lived in Iowa or New Hampshire (before s/he was president)! So it is NOT a criterion for being leader of the Free World!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My vote will go to the person I perceive as the most qualified for the position. That person will have to deal with legacy issues that are big enough to choke the life out of any living thing, and make mince-meat out of anyone less qualified. I don't need the person to be perfect, or a good drinking buddy kind of person. I expect him or her to make mistakes, say dumb things now and then, and think a lot when thinking is necessary.

I definitely will not vote for McCain. Being a drinking buddy with Bush makes him dead on arrival in my book. I also feel we need to rethink what we're doing in Iraq, but I certainly don't want us to give up and leave the people we put in harms way (that includes the Iraq population as well as our soldiers) left holding a bag full of nothing.

1:23 PM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

All quite true, though I worry about how people are judging the candidates. And to be fair, though I wouldn't vote for him, McCain (unlike Bush) seems to be a man of immense personal virtue, which counts more than general affability.

2:51 PM  
Blogger rich said...

Well said.

Isn't it odd how *some* people on TV always say "It's all about the issues" and then proceed to ignore said issues for the latest sound bite?

At anyrate, I wanted to let you know that I received my preordered copy of OATP today -- just in case you were curious if readers had started receiving them.

4:53 PM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

Rich? I'm so glad you got yours! Guess what? I don't have mine!!

9:28 PM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

Rich? I'm so glad you got yours! Guess what? I don't have mine!!

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead