Monday, April 14, 2008

Curious about Online Marketing Techniques

I go around pimping my stuff all the time. Post on message boards. Anyone who wants to do an interview will get detailed answers from me. Most anyone who'll post a review will get a free copy of the book they're reviewing. I try not to overdo it, as I think sometimes it can backfire, as you appear to be a little too eager and venal. But never have I gone on to a message board and posted something along the lines of, "Hey, nancy boy, you suck! I'm going to destroy you!" or "I'm going to sue you for libel!" The past week has seen an astonishing increase in this form of "marketing" or "promotion" and I'd like to try to understand it and its effectiveness. Anyone who could post a story about how such a strategy has helped his/her career, I'll be happy to let it go through moderation on the "comments" section (so long as it's not obscene). It can be anonymous. Thanks for your help, and for the information you're providing noob authors such as myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Valintine Pawson said...

Kim, I've noticed that my blog and web site hits do go up when I've been involved in a "debate" on a forum. I've had a handful of people tell me that they picked up Read by Dawn because they were impressed with how I handled someone attacking me on a blog or forum, but I suppose that's not the same thing at all, is it?

6:56 PM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

Well, I suppose it reinforces part of the supposition - that getting in online fights - SO LONG AS ONE WAS PERCEIVED AS THE SANE, RIGHT PERSON - could impress someone and make them think you might know what you're talking about. The question would then be how much one could go around PICKING fights and still have that work.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead