Sunday, September 27, 2009

Darwin vs Some Guy

Kirk? Cameron? Somebody I'm supposed to remember and don't.

http://shocklinesforum.yuku.com/topic/12872

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM0oBuhTLRI

And I'd post my reply on Shocklines, but... as a perceptive man called it recently, it's a "cesspool."

Or, perhaps more accurately, it's people chest-thumping to show they're the "right" kind of Christians or atheists or horror fans or real men or whatever.

Screw that. If you come here more than once, you know what kind of Christian or man I am, and you're decided if that's "right" enough for you.

But here, in my house, here goes again:

Reading a bunch of books by non-Christians (Plato, Sophocles, Voltaire, Darwin [though I still think, deep down, he'd think of himself as a "Christian"] and who knows who else) convinced me to become a Christian. And no, not because I saw how wrong they were - but because I saw how right they were, and how that fit into the "Christian" worldview that was forming in my mind 25 years ago.

And, at the other end of the spectrum: not a day goes by that I don't read about the antics or inane ideas of someone stridently proclaiming their "Christian" beliefs that I don't think of quitting.

There you go.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, I posted. Maybe I need a recovery program. Now I feel dirty.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Goodrich said...

And, once again, thank you for providing such a thoughtful antidote to the hard-edged arguers and sound-bite repeaters we seem besieged with these days. I'm getting really sick of the knee-jerk reactions from both sides.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead