Sunday, June 28, 2009

So Many Reasons to Hate Transformers

As reported, here's another:

LITTLE BLACK SAMBOTS

Personally, I just hate Michael Bay's visual and auditory rape of me in my theater seat, but to play around with racial stereotypes from the 1920s? Yeah, we can add that to the list.

It's an interesting issue, and one I thought about a lot as my kids grew up on Disney flicks. But (and please forgive me for defending Walt), although the stereotypes were often pretty blatant, I thought there was often some sense of balance there. In other words, the black-stereotyped hyenas in Lion King were balanced by the effete, British-accented Scar. Most balanced of all were the very Sambo-like crows in Dumbo (made in 1941, BTW), who end up helping the little elephant, while the evil lady elephants all sound like old, white biddies from the country club.

Well, anyway, I like Disney flicks, and I hate Michael Bay movies, so maybe I'm just being swayed by my prejudices based on other criteria to overlook the racial element in Walt's old stuff. (No, I'm not going to give a defense of Song of the South; I never watched any of Disney's live action anyway.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If you disliked the first Transformers as well, might I suggest a hilarious commentary by the men who once did Mystery Science Theater 3000. It's called rifftrax,a commentary that simply plays along with the dvd. The Transformers one is perhaps one of the better ones to come out recently.

8:27 PM  
Blogger John Goodrich said...

Well, Richard pretty much says it all. Except "what he Hell were you expecting watching a second Transformers film? Didn't you learn anything from the first one?"

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead