Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Great Books - Zombie Versions

The whole time I've been working on Valley of the Dead, I've been wondering what other Classics could work in zombie versions.

Certainly Ahab hunting the zombie horde that tore his leg off. Macbeth could have a zombie army at his disposal.

But today I got the real deal.

The whole zombie enchilada.

Ready?

Sitting down?

Flannery O'Connor stories with zombies in them. The Artificial Zombie. A Good Zombie Is Hard to Find. Good Country Zombies.

Whaddyathink?

I mean, 3/4 of her characters are freaks/monsters/living dead as it is! It practically writes itself!

I don't know if it's going to be as fun to party with Flannery as it is with the Florentine. I can imagine her stomping around the house like Hulga, asking me where I keep the damn mint tea and calling me a filthy protestant dog.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bobbie Metevier said...

Flannery's broken people need only be a little more broken.

Everything that rises must converge, after all . . .

11:54 AM  
Blogger John Hornor said...

You forgot Everything That Rises Must Be Undead. And the perrenial favorite, The Displaced Zombie.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Gestalt said...

Flannery is a perfect idea. Her blown-up sense of Christian morality is so reminiscent of German Folk tales that it immediately sets the tone for any horror story. Just provide the gore.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, Grapes of Wrathful Zombies might be cool...

5:04 PM  
Blogger Allen's Brain said...

How about The Brothers Karamazov, in which one is a zombie, and one is not?
I feel like most of Hemingway's stories are populated by undead.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you didn't want to keep them all to yourself, this could be another anthology in the making!

Get the author who did that brilliant Jane Austen one from HISTORY IS DEAD, stat!

It'd be like Classics Illustrated, only it'd be Classics Reanimated :)

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead