Monday, November 08, 2010

The Walking Dead

Sorry - I've been meaning to post about this, but it's been a crazy couple weeks with school and appearances and with taking the kids to their various activities.

Well, it's definitely gory enough for "regular" zombie fans, but other than the one scene last night of procuring the necessary gore to camouflage themselves, I don't think it'll gross out "regular" regular people. And the series follows the lead of the original very well, in making it not about fighting zombies: the zombies only very occasionally surface as an imminent threat for a couple minutes of fight and/or flight each episode. (They're a bit faster than I imagined them in the comic, but of course it'd be hard to gauge speed and agility there.) Other than that, it's the humans' variously dysfunctional relationships - and their occasional moments of kindness and compassion - that drive the viewers' interests. And that, to me, is one of the directions in which all zombie stories have to go if they're going to last more than 90 minutes. (Other directions would be comedy, or with zombies with rising intelligence so we could consider their point of view and begin to sympathize and/or wonder about what they're up to.)

So, it's a welcomed addition to the zombie genre, and a welcomed addition to the TV lineup.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

No comment on the fact that they cribbed the whole "wallet eulogy" thing from "Dying To Live"? :-)

1:33 PM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

I haven't confirmed that, as I don't have my old copy of the comic in front of me to see whether it was in the original.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have read the series and it wasn't in. The moment I saw Rick go for the wallet I said, "uh-oh..."

That said, I don't think it was outright plagiarism. It's a great, human touch and someone was bound to do it. I just think you should get credit for being the first.

Cheers,

Joe Sena

1:40 PM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

Thanks Joe. Either way, I'm honored to be considered even peripherally enough of an influence that someone might think that's where it came from.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead