Sunday, August 09, 2009

Chapter 1

Got it down! 2300 words. Getting better at weaving in the flashbacks with the current situation, rather than just dumping 1800 words of flashback at the beginning and ending with 500 words describing the current action. Go me!

For those interested in math (and it was an interest of mine early on and I was pretty good at it, way back when), there are 44 chapters, and the goal is to hit somewhere around 75k words. So the chapters would have to average 1700 words each. So I'm always glad when I come in a little above that, so I have a "cushion" for any short, choppy chapters that come later. (Quantifying things like that always makes me feel good!)

Oh, I changed one of the two epigrammatic sayings at the beginning:

“…for love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave.” Song of Songs 8:6 (NRSV)

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
Plato, Apology 38a


And, finalizing my thoughts of whom to ask to be the writer, if I should expire during the writing process. Stay tuned for that announcement.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zombie Command said...

I've been thinking about writing something recently. Not sure what though. Zombies naturally.

Thinking about having no zombies as an obvious threat in it though.

Bunch of folks in the Scottish Highland, semi-established 'colony', sort of a Reign of Fire feel.

Started writing at the start of the year and on holiday but I have the problem that if it doesn't come out as a fully formed story I get stuck :)

Do you plan out the full thing and then fill in the details or well, not sure how to write more than 3,000 words or so :)

Anyway, probably won't get round to writing much :) What's the new book about? I read the opening, sounds intriguing.

3:00 PM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

We're in the third installment of the D2L saga, following the continuing adventures of four of the characters from the second novel. And I do work now from a fairly detailed outline. Not so detailed that there's no room for change, but definitely the general plot trajectory is laid out.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Zombie Command said...

Right then.

Will get involved with the first and send you a copy of the receipt so I can win the second :D

1:16 PM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

good plan, ZC! And good luck!!

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead