Monday, August 17, 2009

Blocking Multiple POV

It's very frustrating, I find, when you have an extended action sequence when the characters involved somehow get separated from one another - they're in different vehicles, or locations, or separated by a door. So you can't stay with one character's POV, cause you don't know what's happening to the other people. So you have to shift back and forth. But you have to do so in a way that's suspenseful and not just confusing. Take the long middle of XMEN2 - I think it's a good comic book movie overall, but that sequence in the dam I think is interminable, because we're jumping between several groups, and each time we do, we have to think, "Wait, what? Are they chasing someone? Or trying to get away? Or what?"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem in my current WIP. As I wrote the chapter, I realized I had to change POV several different times, as there was a bit of a cat and mouse theme going on. It soon became a pain in my nether regions, and I put off looking at it for a day or two.

Today is the day I wade back in and hope I make it back out.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead